On 2014-11-14 02:49, Glenn Maynard wrote:
Unfortunately, even if a couple pages have a legitimate use for a feature, when countless thousands of pages abuse it, the feature needs to go. The damage to people's day-to-day experience outweighs any benefits by orders of magnitude.
  Also, banks generally prefer to have autocomplete="off" for credit card
numbers, names, addresses etc. for security reasons. And that is now to be
ignored?
Yes, absolutely.  My bank's preference is irrelevant.  It's my browser, not
my bank's.  This is *exactly* the sort of misuse of this feature which
makes it need to be removed.

By default ignoring autocomplete="off" (unless the user crawls into the browser settings, possibly under advanced settings somewhere?)
then those who miss-use it today will continue to do so.

Take the following example (tested only in Firefox and Chrome).
http://jsfiddle.net/gejm3jn1/

Is that what you want them to start doing?
If a bank or "security" site wishes to have input fields without autocomplete they can just use textarea.
Are you going to enforce autocomplete="on" for textarea now?

Why not improve the way autocomplete works so there is a incentive to use it the right way? (sorry I don't have any clever suggestions on that front).

My only suggestion now is:
Default to autocomplete="off" working just as today.
Provide a setting under Privacy settings in the browser (global). There are also per site privacy settings possible so (site specific). Then add a contexts menu to all input field where autocomplete can be enabled/disabled. (Spellcheck already does this for example in most browsers).

--
Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://www.EmSai.net/