> What would be the alternative for a public URL? (for tarballs)

Whirr 0.5.0 can publish local artifacts before starting a cluster. You
just have to use a local URL for the tarball (e.g.
whirr.hadoop.tarball.url=file:///my/local/hadoop-build.tar.gz). For
EC2 Whirr will automatically use S3 to create a temporary container.

Keep in mind that when extracted the name of folder should be the same
as the name of the archive (without extension).

> The best case would be if Apache made the correct version of hadoop available
> for each release of HBase.  That seems like the responsible thing for them to
> do.  I believe BigTop will eventually move things in that direction.

I also hope this will happen. As you can see we are having a hard time
getting this right in Whirr.

> Regardless of this, I think it is still interesting to run the configuration
> phase for all templates in parallel. I have a patch for this ready, any
> interest in this?

@Bruno Sounds good to me. Concurrency should not break anything if we
are limiting the scope to only one phase of the process.

Cheers,

-- Andrei