wtf is a 0.5 vote? can i vote 0.7 for and 0.3 against? my brain cant do
floating point math!

/me kicks martijn in the ball

-igor

On 12/7/06, Martijn Dashorst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

A lot of people have asked in the past for a component interface and
we said no (until OSGi came with a good reason, and even then). Just
only asking for opening up is not a good reason to do so IMO.

A good reason I can come up with for removing final from the
onComponentTag method is to reduce the need for AttributeModifiers.
These use up memory just as components, and therefore can increase
memory load. I have done so in a couple of places in our application,
reducing the memory footprint considerably. However, these were done
on Panels and WebMarkupContainers, which already don't have a final on
onComponentTag.

My point here is: removing final from onComponentTag may give better
scalability, and in some cases even be more convenient (if you already
are subclassing the component).

I have yet to encounter a case for removing final from onComponentBody
on all (or any for that matter) components. In my opinion removing
final from onCB gives too much opportunity for servlet style
programming.

[-0.5] yes, make all onComponentTag and onComponentTagBody methods of
the standard components in core non-final. This does leave the door
open for specific components to not adhere to that - I'm not proposing
a new standard - but if this wins we would remove final for most of em

[0.5] no, leave the code as it is now

Martijn

--
for <a href="http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/stuff/wicket