Hi,

We have been discussing this quite a bit on IRC, but I want to bring it to the list for more exposure. As far as I understand, wicket currently has a concept of "stateless pages", which are pages that are not stored in the session. Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid session creation on the very first hit. This means that any user hitting your application will be assigned a sessionid. This is very bad because for a couple of reasons:

1. Search engines obviously don't like sessions and they don't support cookies. This prevents your site from being crawled and indexed properly.

2. Performance - creating a session means that it must be serialized in a cluster (even if there is no data?). Why do this when there is no technical justification?

With the recent changes regarding PageMaps, is it possible to defer session creation until a user hits a stateful page? If not, then wicket cannot be used for public web sites (news, online store, etc) that need to be indexed in today's search engines.

Thanks,

Michael Day