So the question is how can we keep multiple instances of the same
page in session, correct?  What about keeping all pages (up to the
configured max) in the session until the session expires?  Once the
number hits the max, remove the oldest (by time, not by "path").  So
if a user has two tabs open, both would work for a long period... If
he leaves one tab for an extended period, it would expire.

The good news is that you can implement any strategy for page history
you like by providing your own implementation of
IPageMapEvictionStrategy
(getSessionSettings().setPageMapEvictionStrategy).

If you find a strategy that works better - or which would be at least
an alternative that might be attractive for certain situations - we'd
be interested to know. If we agree to it's usefulness we could ship it
with the Wicket distro.