Especially if you have a user object retrieved from the database using
Hibernate in your sessoin, that will not work when handling multpile
requests.

A hibernate object can only be attached to one hibernate session at a
time. It is a very convenient and useful programming paradigm to put
such objects in your session and have them attach/detach with each
request.

We have seen *a lot* of problems with multiple requests arriving at
the same time for the same session when the synchronization lock was
relaxed. I'm not pro loosening this without a decent test case
ensuring that we don't open up a box of pandorra. Until we have unit
tests in place for testing this behavior, I'm against opening our
synchronization.

In my opinion the most significant advantages over Tapestry is the
fact that we don't require you to pay (much) attention to
synchronization issues. For most web applications out there, this is
not a problem: the 90% usecase of Wicket. For the other 10% we should
be careful not to create problems or impose specific optimization
strategies as a default on the other 90%.

Martijn

> As Matej already said that will be to difficutl internally in wicket (for
> example the rendering of a page and another thread setting stuff like new
> components)
> And for the developer code itself. Threading is one of the most difficult
> things there is in programming, there are so many loopholes.
>
> So we could syn around a page (that is pretty much already in) so that you
> can have multiply pages accessed at once. Then only the wicket session
> object
> must be taken care of. But that is also now already the case because there
> are situations like session.attach/detach or if you have your own request
> cycle
> that access the session. Then a session can be accessed by multiply threads.
>
> johan
>

> On 7/6/06, Ittay Dror <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > anyone care to comment?
> >
> > just to reiterate the problem: if i work with two windows/tabs, pointing
> to the same wicket app, and in one i do some lengthy operation, then in the
> other i cannot work. i'm not sure if this is the case, but if i want to
> build a flicker like site, then i can't browse the site while uploading
> images
> >
> > ittay
> >
> > Johan Compagner wrote:
> > > if you don't lock then pages and sessions must take care of that they
> > > are not thread safe
> > > currently wicket is for the most part (99%) thread safe.
> > >
> > > Maybe we could loose it a bit and say we only sync around the active
> page.
> > > But then if you hold a page in another page. And set that as a respond
> > > then we can have again
> > > threaded access to that page that is get from a 'pool'
> > >
> > > johan
> > >

> > > On 7/5/06, *Ittay Dror* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
> > >
> > >     thanks for the quick response.
> > >
> > >     is there any way around it? what happens if i don't lock?
> > >
> > >     Matej Knopp wrote:
> > >      > Ittay Dror wrote:
> > >      >> this is from RequestCycle:
> > >      >>   private final void processEventsAndRespond()
> > >      >>         {
> > >      >>                 // Use any synchronization lock provided by the
> > >     target
> > >      >>                 Object lock =
> getRequestTarget().getLock(this);
> > >      >>                 if (lock != null)
> > >      >>                 {
> > >      >>                         synchronized (lock)
> > >      >>                         {
> > >      >>
> > >     doProcessEventsAndRespond(processor);
> > >      >>                         }
> > >      >>                 }
> > >      >>                 else
> > >      >>
> doProcessEventsAndRespond(processor);
> > >      >>
> > >      >>
> [...]

Download Wicket 1.2 now! Write Ajax applications without touching JavaScript!
-- http://wicketframework.org