But that really depends on how you structure your models. If you use
models that do the loading once on attach, cache the results, and then
unload on detach, you wouldn't have the double loading if you share
the model. Instead of passing ids around, you pass around the model of
course. Besides that, within one transaction Hibernate caches objects
too.

Eelco