Igor Vaynberg wrote:
> On 7/27/06, *Steven Mak* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I have some queries on this:
>
>     - What's the benefits of joining ASF then?
>

> the benefits that we see are outlined in the proposal - there is a link
> in my original email
>
>     - How to determine if Wicket is "ready" to graduate?
>

> here is a quote from irc on the subject from one of our ASF mentors:
> <Upayavira> pchapman: see
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Exiting+the+Incubator
> <http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Exiting+the+Incubator>
> <Upayavira> pchapman: There are concretes, but there is also the more
> subtle stuff - do people feel you've integrated into ASF. That's the
> more vague stuff.
>
>     - How do ASF decides who is joining them? They already have Struts,
>     Tapestry, and some others related frameworks. Do they have any
>     criteria to choose? or would they take it as any kind of "conflicts"
>     due to similar nature with existing projects?

Competition isn't a problem at Apache. Competition is only a problem
when you have a scarcity of resource.

> im not 100% sure. like i stated in the orig email, we put the proposal
> in and if we get 3 +1 and 0 -1 we are in as far as the incubation goes.

Yes. Really, in the end it comes down to what ASF members want to have
in the ASF. If they feel a project fits the ASF way, and the project is
interested, then welcome.

> i will cc our ASF mentors, they might have more to say since they are
> more knowledgable in the ways of the ASF. the wicket team, i think i
> speak for all of us, is not very much into the beurocratic stuff so this
> is as much a learning experience for us as it is for you. we are coders :)

As are pretty much all Apache folks too. I think it'll be a good fit.

There will be beaurocracy to handle, but I've seen it all done before,
and will do my best to make it a smooth ride for all Wicket folks.

I'm now on this list, so feel free to ask any further questions (subject
to SF servers actually delivering mail)

Regards, Upayavira