It's an optimization. So it depends on the kind of application you're
building whether you 'need' it. Typically, I'd consider using
bookmarkable pages for pages that have to be accessible regardless of
any session (e.g. a bookmark). You can code your whole app using
bookmarkable pages, but you will loose a lot of expressiveness of
Wicket by doing that.

In general, stateless pages are probably good for public facing sites
(or a public part of a site) where you can expect large fluctuations
in the number of users and where you want to avoid creating sessions
(and storing pages in those sessions) until you really need it. Just
keep in mind that it's an extra feature to help you make Wicket apps
better scalable; we don't encourage using stateless pages as the
default.

Eelco