Yes, I have build an application which will (someday) be released in
production on www.nlgis.nl, I'm waiting for the customer to set up a
meeting for deployment with the hosting party (currently it is
accessible through it's test-environment on
http://ip042.niwi.knaw.nl:9099/hgin/app, you can checkout the Demo-link
in the navigation menu -- just ignore the Dutch ;-) ).

I have build the user interface with Wicket, basically to define the SLD
for the the map in the user session. I use Community Mapbuilder as
client to show the map in the web browser. GeoServer is on the back end.
Wiring between GeoServer, Community Mapbuilder and my application is
done with some plain old servlets and a HttpSessionListener. But that
was mainly necessary because the user can define (and upload) his own
FeatureTypes (also a custom DataStore was needed for this to let
GeoServer access the data in the user session). There were no specific
issues using Wicket, but then again, I did not build a WMS-client. If
you plan on building a WMS-client yourself, I think this can be done
with Wicket, but it will be a lot of work (as with any other framework).

Best regards,

Dave