I understand your position... Shades is your hobby, pet project and it
would be nice that people find it helpful. I think there is a market
for it, as other people have come to the same conclusion.

At my company at least I and a collegue of mine are very interested in
trying out http://www.simpleorm.org/ It seems like this is very
similar to your proposition. Their goals are about the same but they
took a different direction.

The name 'Shades' is not a pun directed to 'The Shades', from Terry
Pratchett's Discworld, would it? :)

Martijn

On 8/26/06, Geoff hendrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sure - but honestly I don't want to convince anyone
> they need Shades.
>
> One problem I found with JDO was that the
> PersistenceManager was not serializable. Another is
> that detachment had to be handled explicitely.
>
> In Shades all pojo's are inherently detached. Change
> tracking is automagic. The DatabaseSession is
> ultra-leightweight and totally appropriate for keeping
> in a Session.
>
> A big innovation in Shades is how identity is handled
> - that really solved a lot of problems for me related
> to change of identity within transactions. Identity is
> a much more fluid concept in Shades, due to the
> dynamic ORMapping interface, which you can even
> implement on the fly as an anonynmous inner class.
>
> To be clear, I found ways to make JDO work just fine
> with Wicket. Certainly JDO was a huge step forward in
> making it easier to use Pojo-based frameworks like
> Wicket.
>
> I blogged a bit on my motivation for Shades:
> http://notskateboarding.blogspot.com/
>
> -geoff
>

> --- Igor Vaynberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > i glanced over the code - but i dont get it after
> > the first glance. perhaps
> > you can explain what difficulties you hit when using
> > wicket and an orm to
> > help us better understand.
> >
> > seems to me like you are trying to work with a ui
> > connected to a persistence
> > layer - without a service layer in between. have you
> > seen databinder which
> > glues wicket and hibernate together?
> >
> > also your point about wicket and tapestry - wicket
> > is much more flexible
> > because it has IModel which gives you an extra layer
> > of indirection that can
> > hide a lot of orm logic and make the code
> > cleaner/easier.
> >
> > -Igor
> >

> > On 8/26/06, Geoff hendrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I was one of the early users of Wicket before 1.0.
> > > did a lot of work to use Wicket with my JDO
> > > implementation JDOMax (no longer supported). In
> > the
> > > process I learned a lot about why it is harder
> > than it
> > > has to be to use many ORM frameworks with Wicket
> > and
> > > Tapestry.
> > >
> > > I'm a member of JSR 243 Java Data Objects Experts
> > > Group, and I advocated hard within that spec for
> > the
> > > "fixing" of the JDO spec with regard to
> > > non-transaction-write behavior, along with Eric
> > Samson
> > > and others. The JDO group  was receptive, having
> > > gotten similar feedback from Howard Lewis Ship of
> > > Tapestry. I believe this change will benefit
> > Wicket
> > > users, and make it much easier to use JDO 2.0 than
> > JDO
> > > 1.1, from Wicket.
> > >
> > > However, I still wasn't satisfied that it was
> [...]

Download Wicket 1.2.1 now! Embed Wicket components in your portals!
-- http://wicketframework.org