This is the option described in the WIKI:
http://www.wicket-wiki.org.uk/wiki/index.php/FAQs#My_application_says_.22DEVELOPMENT_MODE.22.2C_how_do_I_switch_to_production.3F

>From WebApplication.internalInit() javadoc
 * Internal intialization. First determine the deployment mode. First check
         * the system property -Dwicket.configuration. If it does not exist
check
         * the servlet init parameter (
         *
<code>&lt;init-param&gt&lt;param-name&gt;configuration&lt;/param-name&gt;</code>).
         * If not found check the servlet context init paramert
         *
<code>&lt;context-param&gt&lt;param-name6gt;configuration&lt;/param-name&gt;</code>).
         * If the parameter is "development" (which is default), settings
         * appropriate for development are set.

calling configure in init() is the third option. I suggest you use
web.xml init-param to configure it. No code changes required when you
deploy it into production.

Juergen