I am using thunderbird as well but must be doing something wrong. I have
a gmail account just set up but it would be easiest for me just to stick
to one mail client only. I am using thunderbird version 1.5 on linux.

How do I monitor a number of interesting threads in Thunderbird? What I
do now is label a message as important, then look for all important
messages (filtering), click the important message, then show all
messages (filtering), and then show the entire thread, then scroll down
to see the new messages.

Is there any way in thunderbird to view only the interesting threads and
interesting threads with new replies?

Cheers
Erik