> Is there any way in thunderbird to view only the interesting threads

Never tried (I don't think Watch Thread and Ignore Thread work outside
NNTP?)
I simply recognize my interesting threads by color (i.e. label) and then
use 'N' to locate/read the next unread message.
This works on the thread pane or on a message window, and follows the
thread ordering.

 > and interesting threads with new replies?

TB underlines the visited thread with unread messages.
So the 'interesting threads with new replies' are the colored (labeled)
and underlined threads.

Note that I never used any other client, so I'd suggest you follow the
team members advice (they've used both) and try gmail.

-----
Gustavo.