Hi Heather,

Thanks for writing. Below are some of my thoughts.

* Whether automatic recommendations work rely heavily on at least a
few factors: the users who interact with these recommendations and
their level of expertise with editing Wikimedia projects, the quality
of the recommendations, how much context is provided as part of the
recommendations, incentives, and the design of the platform/tool/etc.
where these recommendations get surfaced. The last point is something
very critical. Design is key in this context.

* We've had some good success stories with recommendations. As you
have seen, the work we did in 2015 shows that you can significantly
increase article creation rate (factor of 3.2 without loss in quality)
if you do personalized recommendations.[0] Obviously, creation of an
article is a task suited more towards the more experienced editors as
newcomers. Had we done a similar experiment with newcomers, my gut
feeling is that we would have seen a very different result. We also
build a recommendation API [1] that is now being used in Content
Translation for editors to receive Suggestions on what to edit next.
We could see a spike of increase in contributions in the tool after
this feature was introduced. somewhere between 8-15% of the
contributions through the tool come thanks to the recommendations
today.[2] There are other success stories around as well. For example,
Ma Commune [3] focuses on helping French Wikipedia editors expand the
already existing articles (specific and limited types of articles for
now). Recommendations have also worked really well in the context of
Wikidata, where contributions can be made through games such as The
Distributed Game [4].

* Specifically about the work we do in knowledge gaps, we're at the
moment very much focused on the realm of machine in the loop (as
opposed to human in the loop) [5]. By this I mean: our aim is to
understand what humans are trying to do on Wikimedia projects and
bring in machines/algorithms to do what they want to do more
easily/efficiently, with least frustration and pain. An example of
this approach was when we interviewed a couple of editathon organizers
in Africa as part of The Africa Destubathon and learned that they were
doing a lot of manual work extracting structures of articles to create
templates for newcomers to learn how to expand an already existing
article. That's when we became sure that investing on section
recommendations actually makes sense (later we learned we can help
other projects such as Ma Commune, too, which is great.)

* More recently, Contributors team conducted a research study to
understand the needs of Wikipedia editors through in-person interviews
with editors. The focus areas coming out of this research [6] suggest
that proving in-context help and task recommendations are important.

I hope these pointers help. I know we will talk about these more when
we talk next, but if you or others have questions or comments in the
mean time, I'd be happy to expand. Just be aware that it's annual
planning time around here and we may be slow in responding. :)

Best,
Leila

[0] https://arxiv.org/abs/1604.03235
[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/GapFinder/Developers
[2] These numbers are a few months old, I need to get updates. :)
[3] https://macommune.wikipedia.fr/
[4] http://magnusmanske.de/wordpress/?p=362
[5] Borrowing the term from Ricardo Baeza-Yates.
[6] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/New_Editor_Experiences#Focuses

--
Leila Zia
Senior Research Scientist