Thanks so much for the super helpful comments and suggestions, Leila,
Kerry! I so appreciate it.

And yes, this is a great way to frame the distinction i.e. that some gaps
can be filled by existing contributors (using automated techniques like
recommendations) but others can only be filled by bringing in new
contributors and/or by creating alternative support mechanisms or
incentives (in the way that programmes like GLAM or editing competitions
might do). Curious if anyone else on the list has recommendations for
research in the latter category... I'm still convinced we need more
academic research here :)

Best,
Heather.

Dr Heather Ford