Su-Laine Brodsky, 21/09/20 08:19:
> I’m wondering if any large-scale surveys have been done that ask Wikipedia
> editors about their race, ethnicity, or religion?

What international standards exist to phrase such questions?
Denominations commonly used in surveys in one country may be considered
horrific or even illegal in others.

I see OECD considers it a difficult problem too:

----

76.  Current NSOs collection practices cluster around three broad
categories: 1) all OECD countries collect information on some diversity
proxies such as country of birth (36 OECD members); 2) a small majority,
mostly Eastern European countries, the United Kingdom and Ireland,
gather additional information on race and ethnicity (16 OECD members);
and 3) only a handful of countries in the Americas and Oceania collect
data on indigenous identity (6 OECD members). Diversity statistics are
collected from the perspective of either enumerating the size of the
relevant populations (typically in the census) or of comparing
well-being outcomes across different population groups.

77.  While privacy and human rights legislation sometimes prevents or
discourages the routine collection of diversity data, the need to
improve data availability and quality is being recognised in most
countries. Many countries are piloting the addition of new ethnic
response options to more accurately reflect the make-up of their
societies (e.g. Ireland, the United States), while Belgium is
considering allowing collection of race and ethnicity data within the
restrictions imposed by the national legal framework. Within the
European Statistical System, the inclusion of more detailed migration
information is also being considered: The Framework Regulation for
Production of European Statistics on Persons and Households European
foresees the incorporation of questions on the country of birth of the
respondent’s parents in the Labour Force Surveys (from 2020), the
European Health Interview Survey, the European Union Statistics on
Income and Living Conditions, the Household Budget Surveys and the
Community surveys on ICT usage in households and by individuals. The
European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights is pursuing its Roma and
Travellers Survey to collect comparable data in six selected Member
States in 2018 (FRA, 2018[77]).

----

https://www.oecd.org/officialdocuments/publicdisplaydocumentpdf/?cote=SDD/DOC(2018)9&docLanguage=En

Federico