Another point not touched on by other commenters is that even if ideal
race / ethnicity question(s were developed for every country in the
world, users from some countries commonly disguise their country due
to censorship in that country, so we there would be a whole class of
systematic errors where we asked users the wrong country's
question(s).

cheers
stuart