Christopher added a comment.

  Coincidentally, it seems that there are people who know a lot more about this 
than I do that have debated this issue at length in a long and very informative 
thread:
  CRS specification (was: Re: ISA Core Location Vocabulary) 
<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-locadd/2014Jan/0000.html>
  
  It is clearly more involved than just using "proper" software libraries and 
"handling requirements".  The conflicting point that I see from your side is 
that introducing unneeded complexity is bad.  And, also, that this was the best 
practical alternative available for handling "garbage data".  Sure, I agree 
with that, but oversimplification of a problem is worse.  I personally feel 
that the "grunt approach" of using regex in SPARQL to filter URIs from literals 
in a result set is not clean, and also quite costly.
  
  The alternative that introduces subproperties for geometry values is 
definitely more complex and as indicated in the thread:
  
    You need OWL 2 to formally define a complex class and then say that 
geometry consists of exactly two parts, one that contains the coordinate
    sequence and another on that contain the CRS. You cannot make such 
statements using RDFS or OWL.
  
  To assert that everything that needs to be said about a geometry value can be 
put into a standard RDFS string literal is obviously not true.  The irregular 
form of geo:wktLiteral is a kind of  "convenience method" that seems to work 
for most use cases, but definitely not for all, and I really doubt that it is 
functionally sustainable for complex geodata.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T129072

EMAIL PREFERENCES
  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/settings/panel/emailpreferences/

To: Christopher
Cc: daniel, Smalyshev, Christopher, Aklapper, debt, Gehel, D3r1ck01, FloNight, 
Izno, jkroll, Wikidata-bugs, Jdouglas, aude, Deskana, Manybubbles, Mbch331



_______________________________________________
Wikidata-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikidata-bugs

Reply via email to