On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
<amir.ahar...@mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> 2012/8/13 Snaevar <snaevar-w...@gmx.com>:
>> > For example:
>> > * The interwiki bots' will definitely have to be modified for the
>> > Wikidata age. Did anybody start a conversation with the operators of
>> > these bots?
>>
>> MerlIwBot is the only bot that is compatible with Wikidata.
>
> Is there any reason not to make the others compatible, too? IIRC, they
> all use the same upstream pywikipedia code. Or am I naïve?

No reason, no. I am not sure what the status is there.
If you look at http://wikidata-test-repo.wikimedia.de/wiki/Special:RecentChanges
and show bot edits you can see that MerlIwBot is already busy.
Merlissimo: Can you comment on this?

>> Lydia has started a conversation with the operators of the bots that have
>> volunteered to transit interwiki links to Wikidata.
>
> Is it public?

No, I didn't get to it yet beyond what you saw above. It's still on my
todo unfortunately.

>> > * How will bots identify pages that use Wikidata?
>>
>> Is this http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:MerlIwBot/WikiData what you are
>> looking for?
>
> Well, probably. Probing Wikidata and seeing whether the page appears
> there sounds reasonable. If everybody uses it, of course. What happens
> if a bot doesn't behave well and does add a plain old interlanguage
> link to a page that is already connected to Wikidata? Which link will
> be shown to the reader - the old, the new, or both?

The local one will overwrite the one in Wikidata. So the local one is shown.

> And what to do
> with the bot account - block it to make the operator notice that he
> should upgrade?

That is a decision the editors and admins have to make.

Cheers
Lydia

Community Communications for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.