I think the place for all data about an image should be Wikidata. It will
be trivial to update a Wikidata item with an image when that image becomes
available on Commons. Until that time, the item can point to a catalog's
online or offline entry where the image can be viewed. I am thinking for
example of a Salvador Dali work that cannot be included on Wikipedia due to
copyright constraints. In this case the catalog entry at least points the
user in a useful direction