John,

Yes, it is related as both could be useful for tagging Commons images.
(Acanthostichus
hispaniolicus SMNSDO5205-1 01.jpg
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Acanthostichus_hispaniolicus_SMNSDO5205-1_01.jpg>
 and Acanthostichus hispaniolicus SMNSDO5205-1 02.jpg
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Acanthostichus_hispaniolicus_SMNSDO5205-1_02.jpg>
show
the same ant specimen, so they should link to the same Wikidata item

Maintaining a large directory of small things may be quite a burden for the
community. but I guess that if you donate the associated images at the same
time, the benefit would be more obvious to the community, so they would
more readily accept to do it :).

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 2:39 PM, John Cummings <
john.cummi...@wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>> contribution, what that contribution is, when it was made, and what rights
>> there are on it.
>>
>> I don't think this can be done using qualifiers on a contributor
>> property, because there may be more than one contributor involved.
>>

>> (3) If we make it hard to move work-information easily, and as a unit,
>> between file-data and item-data we're going to really make things difficult.
>>

>> (4) It is essential to be able to order the hit-sets of searches, eg
>> analogues of the current category view, and there are likely to be a number
>> of different standard orderings that should be available.
>>
>> If this requires coping with the fact that some of the information will
>> be stored in file-data and some will be on Wikidata items referenced from
>> file-data, that needs to be designed in right from the start as a basic
>> requirement.
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>>   James.

>>> I would prefer "Contributor", but yea, something like that.
>>>
>>>  But for the underlying works of these engravings, there are typically
>>>>

>>> You can have any number of Statements about a Property, and each of these
>>> Statement has it's own set of Qualifiers (and Source References). E.g.
>>>
>>> Contributor: Henry Foo
>>>    Point in time: 1872
>>>    Role: Engraver
>>>
>>> Contributor: Melissa Bar
>>>    Point in time: 1870
>>>    Role: Illustrator
>>>
>>>  So instead, we might consider an "Underlying work" property, analogous

>>> No. Using "Underlying work" (or, as I would prefer to call it
>>> "Derivative of"),
>>> the Work has to be modeled as an Entity in it's own right - either a
>>> Wikidata
>>> Item or a MediaInfo entity.
>>>
>>>  There seem to me a couple of issues:
>>>>

>>> It would be a reference to another Entity. Only the ID would be stored.
>>>
>>>  (2) It seems to me that we would need to enable qualifiers on
>>>>

>>> See above: there is no need for this, since we can have any number of
>>> "top
>>> level" Creator/Contributor entries.
>>>
>>> In some cases, the contributor's role may be implicit by using a more
>>> specific
>>> Property, like Painter, Director, etc.
>>>
>>>  Similarly, if there is sourcing, there are sources that might apply to
>>>>

>>> They would apply to one *Statement* but not the other:
>>>
>>> Contributor: Henry Foo
>>>    Reference:
>>>      Title: Detailed Research On That Book
>>>      DOI: ...
>>>    Reference:
>>>      Title: My Art WEbsite
>>>
>>> Contributor: Melissa Bar
>>>    Reference:
>>>      Title: Awesome Art Book
>>>      Author: R.N. Dewy
>>>      ISBN: ...
>>>

>>>  What we're would really be doing, if we did this in full, would be in
>>>>

>>> If we have that much relevant information, it might be worth creating a
>>> item. Especially if we end up repeating that info for multiple files