Hello John

I'm not sure that Wikidata is the right place for this kind of information, due
to it's high granularity. As Zolo points out, maintaining a large directory of
small things may be quite a burden for the community.

However, Wikibase is by design well suited for representing research data, since
it allows for very fine grained sourcing an annotation. Europeana's EAGLE
project[1] is already using Wikibase[2] to manage diverse translations of
inscriptions (e.g. [3]). Such a local Wikibase installation could still refer to
Wikidata as a vocabulary, e.g. using Wikidata Q-Numbers to identify taxons.

-- daniel

[1] http://www.eagle-network.eu/
[2] http://www.eagle-network.eu/wiki/
[3] http://www.eagle-network.eu/wiki/index.php/Item:Q5102?setlang=en

--
Daniel Kinzler
Senior Software Developer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.