Hi all,

We've been using WDQ queries a lot recently to update timelines in the
Histropedia directory and, while trying to speed up the process, I ended up
creating a very crude query generator tool over the weekend. After getting
a bit carried away with it, it seemed worth sharing as it could actually be
a handy tool for Wikidata editors, or anyone else interested in
experimenting with queries.

I have no real coding experience, so it's just made in a humble
spreadsheet! You can choose the input values for a query and the links to
Histropedia, AutoList and WDQ will update automatically.The idea is
obviously that this sort of tool should be written in Javascript by someone
who actually knows what they're doing ;) but they do work and can easily be
customised by adding more Wikidata items to the available options.

I've made 3 different types of query generator so far, which I'll publish
shortly as free templates on Google Sheets:

1) Date range query generator
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A8wyqVc5USJ_T8ncFfYIsmJzfy8LIdmH2QLgeyegRAM/edit?usp=sharing>

2) People finder query generator
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16-x7NGyHTAtEJBa5uF9ZYBhNj6BhhCJrtDaKCcJIFuE/edit?usp=sharing>

3) Family tree query generator
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dNTBoi-QbI0t-t0Ba4Ex5-sx7Q03qRecE27bapQGpAw/edit?usp=sharing>

They are publicly editable spreadsheets so feel free to make a copy if
someone is using the one you land on. And certainly don't hold back if
anyone wishes to make any improvements.

I hope someone finds it useful/fun to mess around with these, but I thought
it was a nice story to share in itself - that a non-coder can sit down and
create something genuinely useful by tapping into the power of Wikidata,
and of course Magnus' amazing tools! :)

Cheers,

Navino

--