I sometimes feel that I need a "citation needed" button on claims. :)

/Finn

On 07/07/2016 04:12 PM, Magnus Manske wrote:
While the proposal of all statements requiring citation is obviously
overshooting, I believe we all agree that more/better citations improve
Wikidata.
One component here would be a social one, namely that it first becomes
good practice, then the default, to cite statements.
For that, improved technology and new approaches are required.
Suggestions include:
* Open a blank reference box when adding a statement in the default
editor, thus subtly prompting a reference
* Show a "smart field" for reference adding, e.g. just paste a URL, and
it registers it's an URL, suggests a title from the page at the URL,
adds access date, suggests other data that can be inferred from the URL
or the linked page, shows likely other fields (e.g. "author" or such)
for easy fill-in
* Automatically add references for statements via external IDs. I have a
bot that does that to some degree, but it could use productizing
* Tools to "migrate" Wikipedia references to the actual sources. (Again,
I have some, but...)
* "Reference mode", to quickly add references to statements. (I have a
drag'n'drop script, but that breaks on every Wikidata UI update)
* A list of items/statements that are in "priority need" for
referencing. For example, death dates of the recently deceased should be
simple, while they are still in the news.
* Dedicated drives to complete a "set" (e.g. all women chemists), that
is, have all statements references in those items
* Special watchlist for new statements without reference, especially on
otherwise "completely referenced" items

Magnus

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 2:56 PM Brill Lyle <wp.brilll...@gmail.com