Hiya

Just as an addendum, since you ask,
> Still not sure I understand the meaning of NC , and why NC is not good
> for free content ?
This is a good example of why, in my view, the NC license is more 'free'
for content.

Suppose OCW is licensed to allow commercial use. Some company comes
along and spends a lot of money to translate the materials into Chinese.
Then, in order to recover their investment, they sell the materials in
China.

The result?

- this remains the only translation into Chinese, since people say there
is 'no point' translating the materials a second time
- hence, for Chinese speakers, the *only* access to these materials is
through purchase

I would add that if there is any danger of people producing free Chinese
versions of the materials, such a company would have a significant
incentive to block that effort. Such efforts are blocked in numerous ways:

- the company will 'lock down' the content it distributed (in., eg.,
proprietary formats, such as is used by the Kindle) so people can't
simply copy it
- the company would raise doubts about the quality of the free translation
- the company would obtain exclusive distributorship of the material in
Chinese markets, such as universities
- questions would be raised about the legality of the free translation
- if officials can be bribed, the people doing the free translation can
be harassed or imprisoned
- technical requirements (such as standards compliance, or content
registration, or digital rights enforcement) can be imposed on all
content, which only the commercial company can afford

I could go on at length.

The end result is, if content is licensed under 'CC-BY-SA', the result
is inevitably that the majority of people in the world must pay for
access to that content. And that is not what I call 'free'.

-- Stephen