Chris Harvey wrote:

> I think he supports open access and perhaps open source and freebie
> software. Free software is a matter of freedom not price.

I am well aware of the distinction between 'free as in freedom' and
'free as in beer'. I suppose 'free as in freedom'.

My objection to commercial use is that it is a business model supported
by *denying* access to resources. If a resource must be purchased before
it may be used, then it is not free in either sense. A person does not
have the freedom to use, modify, etc., something he or she must buy.

I appreciate that many of the other conditions of the free culture
license - such as the use of non-proprietary media - serve to mitigate
the excesses of commercial sales of open content. My belief is that the
full set of such stipulations, crafted so as to close all loopholes,
would be tantamount to the 'con-commercial' clause.

-- Stephen