Hi Randy,

Teacher education is a huge challenge -- particularly in Sub-Saharan
Africa.  I think there are ways in which the WikiEducator community can
help.

A couple of thoughts -

1. With considerable surprise and celebration :-) -- I now see that the
Teacher Education in Sub-Saharan Africa (TESSA) project is using a
CC-BY-SA license!!!!! --- Previously they were using a non-free content
license -- so it seems that some of the lobbying and noise has rendered
positive results :-).

See:
http://www.tessafrica.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=119

I'll get in touch with the TESSA organisers and start exploring ways we
can support TESSA in the achievement of their objectives -- for example,
L4C training workshops in building capacity for content development.

2. Declan McCabe has pioneered and innovative model for student teachers
to engage in OER content development. We can build on this experience in
connecting teacher education institutions around the world --- mmm lots
of potential here!

See:  http://www.wikieducator.org/Biology_in_elementary_schools

3. Vincent Kiza, is a Ugandan teacher and serves on our Council. We
should get in touch with Vincent for ideas. In fact, very soon Gayaza
High School will be hosting a L4C workshop. Also, WhiteEagle from
Germany (WE Council member) and Vincent are laying the foundations for
the Center for innovative physics teaching in Uganda
(http://www.wikieducator.org/Ted/Project_Planning/Uganda )

I'm pretty sure that more ideas will emerge --- but we certainly have a
few good leads to follow. Good thinking Randy!