From: NELLIE DEUTSCH <nellie.muller.deut...@gmail.com>
To: wikieducator@googlegroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2009 10:32:37 PM
Subject: [WikiEducator] Re: OTL09 3. Encourage active/engaged learning (Feb 26
- Mar 12)

Valerie,
I am finding Wikieducator an excellent tool for students to collaborate and
organize their written and oral projects. My grade 11 students from Israel have
just finished an international book sharing project on Night by Elie Wiesel on
the Holocaust with a high school in the U.S. The same students are now working
in pairs on anotherĀ  project on the Holocaust. The students have called various
Holocaust organizations in Israel to get information and to interview Holocaust
survivors. The class works in the computer lab for two hours a week, at home,
and will be visiting institutions to conduct the inteviews. Technology may
facilitate the process, but it's the teacher who guides the students, provides
feedback, and enourages active learning. After almost 15 years of
computer-based instruction and a great deal of effort to find best practices to
engage learners with the use of technology, I have come to the conclusion that
it's the teacher who leads the
 process. I claim that teachers need ongoing professional development and
support for the purpose of engaging students in quality learning.
Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
Doctoral Student
Educational Leadership