Rob,

It is possible to do, and I have seen it done many times, mostly to get
custom signature mouseovers to say quirky things.  I've just not done it
myself.  The mouseover is actually determined by a property called
"title" within the html link.  It's the MediaWiki software that
determines the default to be the page name.

When I take a look at it tomorrow, unless you figure it out before then,
I'll either surf the village pump/forums over at wowwiki, or look up the
proper documentation at the WMF wiki.  If all else fails, I'll just put
in a straight-up html link.  I may find out that's all it really is!

Jesse