I think the page creator should have the rights for protecting or
limiting editing of a page if they think that is appropriate - one
component of the solution.

Another need is the ability to fork off a derivative work. I like what
you have done. Now I want to make my own copy and make changes for my
context. If you make changes to the "source" I'd like to know that and
see what changes you have made, as they might be important. I need to
make the judgment call.