I am not sure exactly what your question is, but I will attempt a reply anyway.

First, I think you are confused a little with some concepts.

A text editor is for typing text. It does not directly give you formatting. The
resulting product is simply a text file. MS Word or OpenOffice on the other
hand is a word processor, it can add formatting, tables, etc. The problem with
sharing them is actually in the format used, usually each program has their own
format. OpenOffice has helped by using the standardized XML format.

Wiki's and other structured text systems such as LaTeX are another different
thing. Word processor files contain all the formatting hard coded into them,
like a binary file. However, for structured text (wikis) the files are actually
text files with the formatting indictated, like computer code. The underlying
wiki software then turns that code into what you see in your browser (it
slightly more complicated, but I won't go into detail).

Yes, wikis are not WYSIWYG, but they are simply text formats, not locked in
formats. But there is being developed WYSIWYG editor for wikis right here on
WE, it is being tested on our test site.

If you understand wiki syntax, then you can actually work on stuff offline. It
is what I normally do as I do not have a permanent internet connection. I write
my stuff offline in a text editor using wiki syntax and then paste it on to the
web when I am connected. Again this is because the wiki page is simply a text
file. (See here for my guide
http://www.wikieducator.org/Help:Editing_using_a_text_editor)

I am not sure what you mean by rich formatting. Most of the formatting problem
I think you are refering to is a limitation on html not in the wiki. And as
most professional designers will tell you what looks good on a screen is not
what looks good when printed and vice versa. (As the scribus website
http://www.scribus.net says "Graphics used on a website are almost always
unusable for commercial printing".)

Hope this helps.
John