Hi Edward,

1. The remaining gap in the plan is then to create the digital
replacements for textbooks in every subject for every grade level.
Given the potential savings, it should be possible to get governments
to fund creation of these materials for free distribution.

On WikiEducator, we have a publishing option for the creation of low-cost
textbooks - see: www.wikieducator.org/WikiPublishing - by using the wiki,
folks can easily update and revise texts for smaller production runs. My
understanding is that WE received Hewlett funding for the beta.

2. To make this plan a reality requires finding the people and resources
to do it. I hope that the possibility of employment in creating a new
generation of digital teaching materials, superior in every way to
books, would interest some here, and that we can network to find
others to take part.

Yes, agreed.

3. For example, do we have anybody interested in creating materials to
teach village power engineering and finance, and village wireless? Do
we have anybody with access to grant writers? The US Dept, of
Education wants to hand out $44 billion in stimulus money for projects
in educational innovation. Politicians often have staffers available
to help navigate the bureaucracy. I have started that conversation,
and will have much more to say about it after I get settled in in my
new home in Indiana.

Regarding this point, it probably would be best to repost this as a separate
request to the list. There's lots of interest here, I believe.

Also, one of WikiEducator's core values is about networking on the
development of funding proposals. We've had successed in getting funding,
and for example, the successful Learning4Content proposal is on the wiki.
http://www.wikieducator.org/Metawikieducator/Learning4Content/Hewlett_bid

I've even used the wiki for my company (Intersol's) development of a
proposal for the Canadian Apprenticeship Forum (we'll see if we get that
work - if we do btw: a percentage of our success will go back to the OER
Foundation!).
http://www.wikieducator.org/Intersol/Proposals/CAF_October_2009

I am using the wiki for other proposal development opportunities, and I
encourage others to do the same. Why reinvent the wheel here, when we can
use and remix content - even proposal development content - to achieve
worthy goals and objectives.

Cheers,

- Randy

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:19 AM, Edward Cherlin <echer...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 18:13, simonfj <simo...@cols.com.au> wrote:
> > Congrats guys,
> >
> > Yu really are doing wonderful stuff.
> >
> > Can I bring up this one about the "technology required to make the OER
> > vision a reality". I wish i could talk about the physical
> > infrastructure/distribution meaningfully but this is beyond me.
>
> My group, Earth Treasury, is on it. The absolute minimum requirement
> to run computers appropriately is electricity and Internet. We have a
> wide range of renewable power technologies, including solar, wind,
> water, biofuels, animal power and child power. The hand crank on the
> prototype OLPC XO was removed after Kofi Annan broke one off in a
> demo, but it was becoming clear that hand cranking was inefficient,
> and that it was necessary to be able to use any available power
> source. So users can charge XOs from anything that will charge a
> 12-Volt car battery.
>
> WiMax is the most promising broadband technology for general use, with
> an installed cost of $10 per person in whole countries, for better
> than 90% coverage. On the other hand, the XO has built-in mesh
> networking, with a range comparable to WiMax. It is necessary also to
> consider fiber optic landing points into countries, and the
> distribution system from there. Although the very first cable to
> Africa was put in only a few years ago, there are now numerious fiber
> optics projects springing up, including undersea cables, links
> overland to land-locked countries, and countries making deals with
> international companies for building up a grid to link all cities and
> towns. Plans to extend this network to villages are taking shape in
> some countries, often using point-to-point wireless technology.
>
> It would be helpful if someone would undertake to create a
> co-ordinated and funded research plan to determine the best
> combinations of available technologies for every inhabited terrain and
> climate, out to the poorest and remote villages, considering both
> available financial resources and new economic possibilities.
>
> We propose to tie all of this together with microfinance: electricity,
> Internet, education, jobs and new businesses. Preliminary study
> indicates that it should be possible to do all of this at a profit, if
> countries themselves can fund the basic education functions. In many
> countries this should be straightforward, given that XOs already cost
> less than printed textbooks in many places, and we can recruit
> translators locally.
>
> The remaining gap in the plan is then to create the digital
> replacements for textbooks in every subject for every grade level.
> Given the potential savings, it should be possible to get governments
> to fund creation of these materials for free distribution.
>
> To make this plan a reality requires finding the people and resources
> to do it. I hope that the possibility of employment in creating a new
> [...]

Open Education is a sustainable and renewable resource.

________________
Randy Fisher, MA, OMD
Senior Consultant, Organization Development, Intersol Group, Canada

Senior Consultant, Organization & Business Development
International Centre for Open Education / OER Foundation, New Zealand

Elected Member, WikiEducator Community Council, www.wikieducator.org
+1 613.230.6424 x144 (EST)
Skype: wikirandy
Twitter: wikirandy

* Stakeholder Engagement, Change / Transition Management & Performance
* Organization Design & Development
* Sustainable Project Implementation & Community-Building
* E-Learning, Online Collaboration & Communities of Practice
* Coaching & Facilitation
* My Bio: http://www.communitybuildingexpert.com