This is great. I look forward to following this project.

Gira Mathur
On Aug 9, 2015 7:32 AM, "Declan" <declanjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> an interactive resource for identification!
>
> On Saturday, August 8, 2015 at 6:52:44 AM UTC-4, Luis Miguel Morillas
> wrote:
>>
>> But you want to create an encyclopedia of aquatic invertebrates or
>> some kind of interactive resource to classify them?
>>
>>
>> Saludos,
>>
>> -- luismiguel  (@lmorillas)
>>
>>
>> 2015-08-08 3:45 GMT+02:00 Declan <declan...@gmail.com>:
>> > Hi folks
>> >
>> > I have put some aquatic insect resources online in WE and I'm
>> considering a
>> > new one.
>> >
>> > The idea is an aquatic invertebrate key...point and click with lots of
>> > photographs.
>> >
>> > All traditional identification keys essentially work the same
>> way...paired
>> > questions that walk you through the identification process.  But
>> imbedded in
>> > this process, and ignored in a paper key, there is some binary logic.
>> Each
>> > insect either has or has not got each of several characteristics.  I
>> think
>> > my first draft will be similar to the traditional, time honored key.
>> >
>> > But....I think that I can make the process more efficient by building
>> some
>> > mug shot pages.  The idea will be to have panels of 4 images and have
>> users
>> > click on the best match.  Most people can tell if they have a snail, an
>> > insect, a worm, or an arachnid. My thinking is that 4 pictorial choices
>> > could rapidly take a person through the process and reduce some
>> frustration
>> > for beginners.
>> >
>> > Also built into all organism classifications we have nested groups.
>> Several
>> > species within each genus; some genera within each family.....etc.  I
>> wonder
>> > if I need to build that into file structure?  Or would that be better
>> > handled using Wiki categories and sub categories?
>> >
>> > Any thoughts or suggestions before I begin?
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > Declan
>> >
>> > --
>> > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> > Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>> > To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>> > To visit the discussion forum:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>> > To post to this group, send email to wikied...@googlegroups.com
>> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> > wikieducator...@googlegroups.com
>> > ---
>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> Groups
>> > "WikiEducator" group.
>> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>> an
>> > email to wikieducator...@googlegroups.com.
>> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
> To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@googlegroups.com
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> wikieducator+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "WikiEducator" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to wikieducator+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>

-- 
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"WikiEducator" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to wikieducator+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to