I looked at the shark key.  Looks like a fairly typical dichotomous key.
That structure also exists for bugs....great starting point

Another way I'm considering implementing a new key structure:
Provide a set of images and ask a question.  As each question is answered
the panel of potential images would change.

For example: if the user answered "yes" to "does the animal have jointed
legs", then all of the worm or snail images would be replaced by
insect/spider images.  the panel of images would gradually become a closer
match as more questions were answered.

My thoughts are still in process....