That reviews might express individual eccentric views, or be involved
in scholarly quarrels, is inevitable to the nature of reviewing.

The best method might be that of multiple outside external
reviews--external in this sense meaning someone who has not
contributed to the article, as is done in some social science
journals. I would imagine them as signed (anyone who wishes to
contribute anonymously can continue to do so) and on individual
subpages in article space. They could conceivably be done o a separate
project and linked--it would not even have to be a WMF project (and
thus anyone could start organizing--or actually doing it--whenever
they liked). All we'd need to do is regard it as complementary, not
hostile.

In the past, I doubt that many experts 5 years ago would have thought
it worthwhile to do such reviews, but the importance of Wikipedia  has
changed substantially. One does not get great credit for a review in
the academic world, but one does get a little--and one shows oneself
an expert in front of other experts.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.