On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:43:05 +0100, David Gerard wrote:

> en:wp does allow quite a few historic images under fair use. And no,
> they're not safe. But we're in this for the long haul, not a pretty
> page today.

If you post any fair-use images, you'd better be prepared to defend
them and jump through hoops for them forevermore... Better not go on
a vacation or wikibreak long enough not to catch all the robotic
messages that continually pop up on your user talk page to inform you
that one of your images is about to be automatically deleted because
it doesn't have the correct incantations (based on ever-changing
rules) on the image description page, or the image is not in use on
an article because somebody removed it there (sometimes without
explanation), and hence the image itself will be deleted soon.

--
== Dan ==