On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Alan Liefting <alieft...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> Rather than ensuring privacy of editors the WMF should DEMAND that editors
> make their identity known.  I am sure that this may cure some of the many
> problems that we are seeing on WMF projects.
>
> Having said all that there is of course a problem in some of the dodgy
> countries where speaking out gets you killed.  It has happened with
> journalists, bloggers, activists etc.  It could (has?) happen with WMF
> project editors.

I can't think about specifics but I will say that on a personal (as well as
staff) level I'd be against mandating public identity for many reasons. The
biggest one, however, is indeed the safety side. I also have edited under
my real name since the start (my username isn't but I've said my full name
and identifying info on my user page since I started getting more active)
but I personally know far too many editors who have been dramatically
harassed, threatened and abused by both private and public (governmental)
individuals because of their on-wiki activities. Some of those editors did
stupid things (but still didn't deserve the reaction they got in my mind)
but most of them wrote good to incredibly good content that was well
sourced and, as far as I could tell, completely correct and important to
have in the public sphere.

We need to be able to allow folks to edit in controversial areas (and
depending on where you are the definition of controversial can be very
different) with as little fear of retaliation as possible. There are some
countries and topics where editors take an inherent risk upon themselves by
editing (and they know that) but I want to keep that risk as limited as
possible.

James Alexander
Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation