From: Mateus Nobre <mateus.no...@live.co.uk>
To: wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2012: The Visas Issue

Sorry for the errors, I'm writing fast.
I'm already prevented, the problem is the people who doesn't have the visa yet.

_____________________
MateusNobre
MetalBrasil on Wikimedia projects
(+55) 85 88393509
              30440865

________________________________
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 22:55:41 +0100
From: sterke...@gmail.com
To: wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org

Ehm... scholarship and suprise?

You should be able to check if its possble to get a visa before you apply? The
same goes for taking vacation....

2011/11/1 Mateus Nobre <mateus.no...@live.co.uk>

For me it's easy. But it could catch someone by surprise and this someone may
not have the visa. And take a U.S. visa in six months in some countries is
really hard....

>_____________________
>MateusNobre
>
>MetalBrasil on Wikimedia projects
>(+55) 85 88393509
>              30440865
>

>________________________________
>Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 20:26:02 +0000
>From: berial...@gmail.com
>
>To: wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2012: The Visas Issue
>

>How that can be possible if the answers to scholarship applications are made
>in January - March? I would suggest to - If you applied for the scholarship -
>send a mail to the USA embassy scheduling the request for visa. If takes at
>least 3 months, will be done only in Feb (if you request now - December is a
>dead month in Brazil) and by them, you will have a result for your application.
>_____
>Béria Lima
>(351) 925 171 484
>
>Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre
>acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a
>fazer.
>

>On 1 November 2011 20:20, Mateus Nobre <mateus.no...@live.co.uk> wrote:
>
>http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html#countries
>>
>>Hello everyone,
>>
>>As you know in 2012, United States will held Wikimania at Washington D.C.!
>>Yeah.
>>
>>But make a Wikimania in U.S.A. have some problems, you probably know it but I
>>wanna clarify to you.
>>
>>U.S. just dispense visas to thirty-six nations. All of the dozens left over
>>need a visa to enter in.
>>
>>Last year I was selected to attend Wikimania 2011 at Haifa(the best moments
>>ever in my life, btw, would love to support Washington too, ops  :D) and WMF
>>contacted me six months before.
>>In this ''six months before'' have one problem.
>>
>>In Brazil (not only, but in the most countries that need the visa) we take 3
>>months to schedule (and get some free time - it's vacation in Brazil and the
>>people wanna travel) the visit to U.S. Embassy to require the visa. When we
>>requite the visa, we take more 3~~4 months to receive the answer of Embassy.
>>Over 6 months. And half per cent of the visas are denied. We could appeal,
>>and would take more two months.
>>
>>It would be the biggest problem ever in a Wikimania organization. And happens
>>in a really lot of countries which need a visa to enter in U.S.A.
>>
>>I suggest to announce to the people who live in that countries early.
>>Earliest as possible. Maybe 8 or 9 months before... Take a visa to US really
>>isn't easy.
>>
>>What do you think?

Kind regards,

Huib Laurens