I am smiling at the idea that sharing one's notes & images on the wiki
two weeks beforehand in advance is huge preparedness. :-)   And I am
someone who is always working on talks the night before...  But I have
notes/images/outlines, in one arrangement or another, well before
that.

I suspect we could find a community norm that would work for everyone,
and still let attendees reflect on (and comment on!) the meat of a
session before it starts.  And it certainly won't hurt to invite
presenters to do this.  It might be good to have a mix of presenters
who do and who don't share materials in advance, for comparison.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 3:03 AM, Lodewijk <lodew...@effeietsanders.org> wrote:
> I also wouldn't be in favor of a lot of plenary sessions

Ah, to be clear:  I don't want to see any /more/ plenary sessions.  I
just mean that those sessions would be the only ones that were
traditional performances -- one speaker, a passive audience, few if
any questions.  (and even there we might find speakers with more
different approaches.)

> Something what I *would* like to see changed about the schedule is more
> discussions with experienced discussion leaders. Not like this year when it
> was basically a run-out-time for the session before, but a dedicated track,
> with a dedicated discussion coordinator that puts together the discussion
> track only a few days in advance to ensure that the most recent topics are
> covered too. In that way I hope that you also have an improved experience -
> that track could be somewhat run like you suggested (with someone preparing
> the discussion etc) and should indeed of course be documented!  I just don't
> think the whole schedule should be like that.

A nice framing.  Similarly, I would appreciate a track that was
dedicated to speaker-performances:  inspiring presentations with no
audience participation.  Like a TED-talk track.

I would prefer more of Wikimania to be interactive and
discussion-oriented; perhaps you would prefer more to be
presentation-oriented.  That's a good tradeoff for a program team to
discuss.  But presenters could then think consciously about which of
these modes they intend to participate in.

SJ