One of the reasons to put certain types of sessions in certain types of
threads would be to accommodate the room setting to be adjusted
accordingly. For a discussion setup, I would really want a round table
setup and definitely not a cinema setup (as happened a few times this year
but also previously). Perhaps for a panel vs presentation this difference
is less obvious. Also, clear presentations/panels should get priority in
filming (it will be almost impossible to decently film round table
discussions) and it sets clearer expectations towards participants if the
types are more clearly separated. Again, this difference is most prominent
with round table discussions and perhaps lightning talks.

Lodewijk