Hi Andrew,

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Andrew Leung <andrewcle...@hotmail.com>wrote:

>  But it will definitely affects how much funding or promise we can secure
> *right now*

It's really a chicken and egg problem here. While we would like funding
commitments, gov't and business want to know the event is happening, not
that it might happen. While we can get oodles of "wow, we'd love to support
you" letters, we won't get any dollars until this becomes something more
real. Toronto did generate a bunch of interest in previous years funding
wise, and if we can get the Province and the City to commit, Ottawa will be
easier to sway. And we might be able to get some help from our friends in
Montreal on that account -- the Feds should be willing to spend money on
Wikimania, whichever city gets the nod.

Gerald