Hello,

This is an excellent budget. It has the right level of detail and its
expenses are at a scale which I think fits the history of activity of this
group. Here are my initial criticisms of the budget - on the face of it,
everything else looks good to me:

   - I think for the first year it is premature to have awards. I know that
   the "awards" are really to promote participation, but I fear that since
   other groups do not commonly offer awards and the concept is untested,
   requesting funding in this space may distract from good community response
   for the rest of the proposal. I would endorse the award items for year two
   now.
   - The travel scholarships should be for community-decided persons, not
   necessarily for people in certain board positions.
   - The camera project is I think best removed from this budget. I like it
   and would support it immediately but all costs related to buying equipment
   might be better considered in the context of an independent funding request
   which could be made in parallel to this request. If this project were
   funded once then in the future I would support the chapter budget
   maintaining it, and from the beginning, I would support the chapter
   managing this as if it were like any other routine business.

Pine says "I really think that we need a paid manager; this person may be
the president, the treasurer, or someone that we decide to hire as an
employee under the president." I agree that a paid manager, especially at
the modest cost of $5000 for the year and considering the history of
barely-documented events this group has done, would be a great value and
excellent step toward maintaining activity while increasing metrics
reporting. It is obvious that volunteers cannot do this. However, I
hesitate to say that board members should be eligible for pay. I think it
would be controversial and distracting to have any board member hired by
the rest of the board. If others acknowledge the problems this could cause
and no one objects to the proposal, then I think a practice to adopt for
now might be to say outright that board members have no special access to
funding or compensation that any other member has, and that board members
cannot also be paid staff of the chapter. Pine in my opinion would be an
ideal manager if a board would manage him.

Pine, thanks for this solid, modest, and well-considered proposal. I
especially appreciate your emphasis on reporting metrics, which is
something that volunteers find tedious and which you have incorporated into
the design of all processes here.

yours,

Lane Rasberry
user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia