I've been somewhat following this conversation - and this is totally trivial, but, I love WikiTravel, use it whenever I do travel, and actually, it was the first wiki I wrote content for (I used to only do gnomish things on Wikipedia).[1]

I still, to this very day, remember the first time I was given a compliment for my work on WikiTravel, by the co-founder, and that was before they had adverts. It's one of the examples I frequently use about how important praise on-wiki is. (It helped me stick around!)

I'd frankly be all about WikiTravel, and would really be interested in seeing it be a part of the Wikimedia community, especially so I can contribute to it ad free ;) . I know it'd open us up to a whole new can of COI worms, I think it'd make for a really valuable resource and give paid services and Frommer's/Lonely Planets a run for their "money."

-Sarah

[1] http://wikitravel.org/en/User:Missvain