Sorry to top post - but, I'm just replying to the thread in general.

One of my biggest frustrations with this thread is that it seems to focus on technical staff.

The Wikimedia Foundation is a non profit. There is an entire department of people who do programming in grants/education/and dare I say "outreach" (or whatever). Then there are the HR people, etc.

While I am wrapping up the last month of my fellowship, and I am not a Wikimedia staff member, I do have my master's in museum studies, with a focus on the management of said organizations. The reason I state that? Is because WMF is competitive in regards to what it offers employees in my realm - as a non-profit person (I will most likely work in non profits for the rest of my life unless I own my own business, and that could even be nonprofit). So don't forget - I'm not the only person with a degree that would take me into a world of nonprofitness - Google isn't even on my radar as someone who is bidding for me, nor am I looking at them for work.

Let's just say, when I went to school, I knew I'd be working "for a mission," and which in the US, many folks go into computer science with the understanding they'll be making a nice amount of money out of school. From my understanding, most technical folks don't go into the field to start using their talents for non profits, it's often a "second life," after working in the for profit world.

Hell, what I made as a fellow is as competitive to what first year's make working at museums. And I feel I've gotten more dare I say.."perks" or "benefits," working as a fellow at WMF then I would working at pretty much any museum in my area of work (curatorial). (minus benefits like health insurance which contractors/fellows don't get)

So for me, and a number of us who work in the nonprofit arena (not the "tech person who could be stolen by big tech company" arena) - WMF *is* competitive.

-Sarah