If I were making the decision, I would want to know how well someone
would be able to research and articulate a response on these issues
even without a substantial amount of background knowledge. So I'm not
suggesting the questions are appropriate for anything other than
written answers, but they're entirely sincere and in my opinion are
the most important issues facing the Board.

Take the question about endowment, for example. Being able to answer
how many years it would take to establish a self-sustaining endowment
is a fairly sophisticated finance question involving interest and
present value calculations. But I sincerely believe that Board members
should be skilled enough to research and to formulate a reasonable
answer.

I had them handy because they are the same questions I intend to ask
the election candidates.