Hi,
I would like to bring your attention to yet another discussion that's currently taking place, namely the one about the new privacy policy, and the related access to non-public information policy.

The privacy policy consultation is obviously important to all of us. but I'm personally more interested in the draft access to non-public information policy, which influences my daily work as an oversighter on Commons, and also the not-so-regular work as an OTRS agent.

It seems that the Wikimedia Foundation is planning to require users with access to non-public information to re-identify to them, this time with the intention to retain copies of the submitted IDs, for as long as those users have access to such information, and additional three years.

We already went through a similar discussion two and a half years ago, when the WMF planned to make all OTRS agents re-identify to them by sending a copy (or a scan) of their ID to a secure e-mail address (or by using another option provided).

This time, the new requirements are going to concern /all/ users with access to non-public information (such as OTRS agents, checkusers, oversighters, and stewards), and their IDs are planned to be kept by the Foundation, something which was never required before.

The discussion is taking place at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Access_to_nonpublic_information_policy and I invite every interested person (with a special invitation to people holding advanced user rights on any Wikimedia wiki) to take an active part in it.

Thanks,
          Tomasz