On 13 February 2014 10:04, Andy Mabbett <a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> "
> On 12 February 2014 21:16, Jay Walsh <jwa...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> Congratulations to Frank, but...
>
> > The Wiki Education
> > Foundation, a new nonprofit organization that supports the Wikipedia
> > Education Program in the United States and Canada
>
> ...why isn't this called "The Wiki Education North America
> Foundation,", or suchlike?
>
> --

Good question Andy!
Moreover, as this is an independent organisation, why does the fact of it
getting a director deserve a WMF press-release? For comparison, has the
hiring of senior staff for any of the Chapters received a WMF-written press
release?
Nevertheless, I'm very pleased to see the WMF's "pseudo chapter"
direct-outreach activity spun out to being an independent organisation that
has to fight for grant money on a level-playing with the other
organisations that apply for WMF money. It will now have to justify why
fee-charging US universities need our donors money to support
editing-traning programs more than other programs that aren't WMF
originated or USA-focused. Relatedly, I note that on the Q&A that the
organisation is "Based in San Francisco" - I hope this means that it is not
getting free accommodation in the WMF offices as I'm sure there's lots of
other independent groups that would like free office space too.

-Liam