I'm not sure that people think the conference is unnecessary; I think it
has value.  It is, however, the only one of all those listed for
which almost everyone is explicitly excluded and cannot attend - even
though I can think of several who have strong interest in movement
governance and strategy.  It's a heavily publicly discussed meeting to
which 99.9998% of Wikimedians  are unwelcome - and yes, that's the way it
comes across.

The movement has failed if the only way to participate in group discussions
on movement governance is to (1) create a chapter or thorg, (2) become an
executive or employee of one and (3) be granted authority to attend this
conference.  Those are very big hoops to jump through in order for
non-aligned Wikimedians and movement participants/supporters to participate
in the discussion.

Risker/anne