Wow.

Wil - you're going to love WikiData.

Phoebe: I  have seen that list of peer-reviewed articles related to
Wikipedia medical content. I've extracted those related to quality and
added more from a couple of database searches I did in January and the list
of 42 (some are letters and there's a conference abstract, though) are
collapsed on the WikiProject Medicine talk page now under the heading,
"This thread is notable."

I've read most but not all of those and, as Andreas mentioned, most of
those suffered from small sample size and poor or opaque sample selection
criteria.

Erik, thank you for pointing to the "reviewer" trial. I had read it before
and I'm glad to have this opportunity to tell you how much I love it. There
is a big hole in Wikipedia where expert reviewing belongs.

I'm presently on the board of WikiProject Med Foundation, but will be
stepping down after Wikimania. I mostly edit medical content. Anne is
right, it is heavily curated. But stuff slips through the net of patrollers
from time to time, and barely a day goes by without some howler of a
long-term problem coming to light.

I would like to know - know, rather than rely on my gut feeling - how
accurate our medical content is. To know that, I think the first step would
be to get an expert on scientific study design to review the 30-40 existing
studies that address the quality of our medical content, and tell us what,
if anything, we can take from that prior work - essentially what Anne
recommends above, but rather than making my own incompetent and heavily
biased assessment, get an expert to do it.

My own, inexpert, belief is that those studies are (mostly) so hopelessly
flawed that nothing can seriously be generalised from them. If I'm right,
I'd then like us all to consider seriously doing a survey whose design is
sufficiently rigorous to give us an answer.

Thanks for your thoughts and attention everyone.

Anthony Cole <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Anthonyhcole>